Edmonton Global News segment - aired Tuesday, January 8, 2019.
Phase 1 of the Community Recreation Facility project will:
• Sustain the provision of one indoor ice in Morinville.
• Enhance wellness and physical activity opportunities by providing space for walking/running and fitness programming.
• Provide indoor multi-purpose space to meet programming needs for indoor soccer, basketball, volleyball and a variety of other programs.
• Provide an emergency reception center
Construction Update (as of January, 2019):
- The CAO and Administration are meeting on a regular basis with Clark Builders and Stantec Architecture.
- All concrete work, walls, and interior infrastructure are complete with final electrical and mechanical work ongoing.
- Wall finishes and locker rooms, office spaces and programming rooms to be completed by February/March.
- The ice plant will be completed by mid-February with commissioning during March.
- Arena boards, individual seating, field house flooring and dasher boards slated for install through March and early April.
- Building commissioning and completion of field house and fitness areas will take place during April with turnover to the Town in May.
- Completion of landscaping will occur during the summer.
- May 2019 Opening.
- The project is on time and on budget.
At the June 27, 2017 Regular Meeting of Council, one motion was moved:
- That Council approve modifying the scope of the regional recreation centre project to include a field house with a total cost of $24.3 million.
At the June 20, 2017 Special Meeting of Council, four motions were moved:
- That Council direct Administration to add to the June 27, 2017 Regular Meeting of Council a discussion on expanding the scope of the regional recreation centre project to include a field house with funding options and details.
- That Council present information to Sturgeon County on expanding scope of regional recreation centre project to include a field house with funding options and details at their June 27, 2017 meeting for consideration and discussion before the IAC meeting.
- That Council direct Administration to add funding request to the July 4 IAC meeting agenda.
- That Council direct Administration to add disbanding the IAC Sub-committee to the July 4 IAC meeting agenda.