File search requests can be done through a Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) request through the Records Management Department.

Buying or Selling a House?

Sellers – It is recommended you obtain an up-to-date Real Property Report (RPR) prior to selling your home. It is also recommended that you check with Planning & Economic Development to ensure there are no outstanding land use bylaw issues with your house, i.e.: outstanding enforcement matters, permits required for a new deck/hot tub/shed, etc. Please contact us to conduct a file search of your property related to bylaw compliance (see below).

Buyers – It is recommended that you request an up-to-date Real Property Report (RPR) as a condition of your purchase. It is also recommended that you perform a file search request (see below) to see if there are any outstanding land use bylaw issues with the property prior to removing conditions on a purchase offer.

Note that the Town of Morinville does not prepare Real Property Reports.

File Search Requests

  • Requests for property file information are processed under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act and are legislated to be processed within 30 days. A $25 initial fee will be charged for each request. Additional fees may be assessed and will be discussed with the applicant prior to proceeding. Certain information may need to be redacted pursuant to FOIP legislation. Download the Access to information Application form here.
  • Materials provided through a FOIP request are provided without interpretation of meaning or consequence. Contact the Planning & Economic Development Department to discuss the contents of the file.

Notice Regarding Letters of Compliance

As of January 1, 2017 the Town of Morinville no longer accepts applications for letters of compliance (a.k.a. compliance certificates). Download the Compliance Letter Phase Out FAQ Sheet for more information.

Encroachment Agreements

In some cases, a Real Property Report will identify an encroachment that may require the landowner to enter into an Encroachment Agreement with the Town of Morinville. For example, an encroachment is identified if a structure is placed over an utility right-of-way or outside the boundaries of the property onto public land (i.e. road right-of-ways, public utility lots, etc.). An Encroachment Agreement is a written agreement that is placed on the title of the property that authorizes the development to remain. 

You may request to enter into an Encroachment Agreement with the Town of Morinville for an encroachment on Town land. However, please be aware that requesting an Encroachment Agreement does not guarantee it will be granted. Please review the Encroachment Agreement Request Form, which provides more information and outlines the standard procedure for application.

Planning & Economic Development News & Updates

Contact Planning & Economic Development

T 780-939-4361   |   F 780-939-5633    |    Email Form